7 ways to Relieve Dry Mouth
7 Ways to Relieve Dry Mouth
Dry mouth is a very common condition that most of us may have experienced; therefore it may seem like a pretty small deal, but it can greatly affect a person’s quality of life. However, persistent dry mouth can cause a variety of dental problems, including an increase in tooth decay and a rise in the occurrence of bad breath. The presence of a chronically dry mouth indicates the absence of a very important fluid, which is (saliva). Saliva has a positive effect on the quality of the teeth, and we need a healthy dose of it in our mouths regularly.
What Are The Symptoms Of Dry Mouth?
Some common symptoms of dry mouth are:
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, tasting, or speaking
- A dry or sticky feeling in the mouth.
- Dry, cracked lips, especially at the corners of the mouth.
- Bad breath.
- Frequently feeling thirsty.
- Difficulty with chewing and speaking.
- Dry, hoarse throat.
What Is The Treatment For Dry Mouth?
It is important to get treatment for dry mouth as it can lead to tooth decay, bad breath and gum disease, not to mention the discomfort it causes. The following tips can help the body produce more saliva or can relieve some of the symptoms of dry mouth.
- Drink plenty of water to help keep your mouth moist throughout the day.
- Use a room vaporizer to add moisture to the bedroom air.
- Chew sugar free gum to encourage saliva flow.
- Avoid excessive caffeine, as it can dry out the mouth.
- Avoid salty or spicy foods as they can be painful for dry mouth sufferers.
- Brush with a fluoride tooth paste.
- Avoid mouthwashes that contain alcohol as they are very drying, and ensure you visit your dentist regularly to have your teeth checked.
Following these seven tips should help to ensure that you won’t suffer from persistent dry mouth and experience greater dental decay.
If you still suffer from dry mouth after trying these tips, please contact our team at 04 345 8686 or book your appointment online to provide you with a complete dental checkup and examination. Our incredible team will be more than happy to assist you.